Indian News

School dropout performs C-sec, woman, child die

Source: , Posted On:   19 March 2021

School dropout performs C-sec, woman, child die | Lucknow News - Times of India

Lucknow: A 30-year-old school dropout who doubled up as a surgeon at a private nursing home in Sultanpur district, wielded a shaving razor blade to perform a caesarean section on a woman, who bled to death hours after the surgery late Wednesday. The baby died minutes after birth.
The accused, Rajendra Shukla, who studied till Class 8, was roped in by the owner of Maa Sharda nursing home, Rajesh Sahni, a year ago to perform surgeries at his ill-equipped clinic in Saini village. Both Shukla and Sahni were arrested and booked for culpable homicide, not amounting to murder on Thursday after a police complaint by the deceased woman’s husband. Sahni, who had barely passed Class 12, ran his unregistered nursing home in the village with quacks and midwives.
Superintendent of police, Sultanpur, Arvind Chaturvedi, who investigated the case, told TOI that the shocker unfolded after a villager, Rajaram, reached Baldirai police station and lodged a complaint that his wife, Poonam, 33, and their newborn died due to medical negligence at Maa Sharda Hospital. “A police team was swiftly dispatched to the private hospital and we found it was an unregistered clinic with no infrastructure to perform surgeries. Quacks used blades to do simple operations,” he said. “When Poonam went into labour on Wednesday night, she was taken to a midwife, Radha Dubey, who told her husband, Rajaram, to shift her to a primary health centre in Deeh area. Here, an auxiliary nurse, Rubi, examined her and told Rajaram to move her to Maa Sharda hospital as her condition was critical,” said SHO Baldiram, Amrendra Singh. An ambulance driver, Arun Mishra, who took her to hospital and husband of a midwife were detained for questioning. When Poonam bled profusely at the makeshift operation table, accused Rajendra Shukla told Rajaram to take her to district hospital. With no hospital in vicinity ready to treat her, she was driven 140km to KGMU Trauma Centre, Lucknow, where she died. Police have written to chief medical officer to act against illegal clinics.